I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Thursday, November 13, 2003

Do you ever feel like work would have been great if only the people you were working with weren't so fucking annoying?

Now, i'm a sociable person. I like people, I talk to people. I don't stick my head in the sand nor do I yell "bah" and run away while calling people sheep. In fact, on a limited exposure, I can get along with almost anyone.

It's the long sustained periods of interaction that gets to me.

When you have to see them everyday and hold conversations longer than 30-second commercial outbursts that annoys me. Because anything else that is not related to work that comes out of their mouths is bound to be gossip. Heck, even my former--may you stay my former boss--used to indulge in this activity. Though in an office of around 30 people, gossip is the best entertainment.

Unless big boss finally bares her back, thus revealing her tatoo and putting an end to the speculation on just how long it is.

Of course, she would have to be drunk and on her way of the country before she even thinks of doing that.

Come to think of it, a happy office like for me is inversely proportionate to the number of people I talk to in a day. Okay, I have friends. Anyone beyond the small clutch of people I break bread with is etc. The less I see of them, the fucking happier I am.

Back in the day with my former boss, I remember that the best working relationship we ever had was when we were working as far away from each other. I used to consider it a huge bonus if I didn't have to be within five feet of her for more than 30 minutes--collectively--in a day. On the days when a call from the intercom was the only interaction we got, I went home with a smile in my face. Smile with teeth if she actually doesn't show up.

It was when the two of us got to be within twenty feet of each other that dragons started spitting fire.

It's my theory that you should never be yay-close to your boss. You can get along great, work like two parts in one machine, be best friends or award winning best acquaintances, but you should never be within 30 feet of your boss, unless you have the benefit of an enclosed office, or serving in a submarine where your captain could care dick on what the fuck it was that you ate, how much it was, and where the hell you spent your earnings. You can also be assured that when he orders you to do something, you can truly believe that the ship will sink unless you execute it. To the best of your abilities. Without fail.

Though sailors have the excuse of having no social life, be pumping with adrenaline for constantly living on the edge, and being stuck with the boss in a tin can in the middle of nowhere. Rank be damned, you are as they say "ridingin the same boat".

Bosses, officemates...what else?

The water-cooler that doesn't seem to work, the late coffee, the growing number of slow days...

A year into the first job and adjusting to actually having to deal with different people who are not of your own age...Methinks it's time to have that frst adult burnout just about now.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home