I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Tragically 80's

I confess, I was a Neighbours nut.

In fact, i'm convinced that I'm still a Neighbours nut. If a network somewhere re-runs the Neighbors batch during the 80's, i'd still watch it.

During most of the morning, my playlist was dominated by oldies tunes: Glenn Miller, followed by my 60's rock playlist, which lead on to the Beachboys.

But the afternoon was strangely dominated by the 80's.

At around 2pm I pulled up my 80's stash and zoned out to Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, and Fra Lippo Lippi. I have an 80's Bubblegum list with some Cyndi Lauper, B52's and a hint of "Chorus Girl". Both lists begin and end with Da da da by Trio, which I shamelessly got hooked on after I watched Infested (I highly recommend this B-movie)

Gripped by a maudlin moment, I pulled myself from my work with the clearbook to check out Jason Donovan on IMDB.

For those of you who don't know, Jason Donovan played Scott Robinson for three years on Neighbours, an Australian soap opera. Yes, it's a soap, I watched a soap.

He was there from `86-`89, but I didn't get to watch it until around 1993. I was hooked for a year and a half, beginning when Charlene (Kyle Minogue) and Scott started dating, to when they got married.

A lot of great stars came out of that batch, the young kid from McClouds Daughter was there, not to mention Guy Pierce.

So here I was, listening to Beauty and Madness, cutting up clearbook labels while waiting for an early picture of Jason Donovan to load up (I've seen current ones and frankly, i'd rather maintain the illusion)

Lo and behold the pic loads up and I see: a kid who resembles The Mold, including the hideous 80's haircut that they all wore at that time (including Damian!)

Someday i'm going to find out the reason why I have a thing for guys who look like that.
(Or people from the 40's, like John Elkington's dad???)

Ah, Neighbours. Soaps. Pretty soon i'll have to watch all of them again just so I can learn how to write them.

Jason Donovan might prove to be the proper "soap" motivation, but I sure as heck wish that I will never see that haircut...ever...again.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home