I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Teacher

Yesterday was my "official" last day in school. I haven't been going to school all week, but technically, my last day was yesterday.

In the course of my three month teaching career, I have gone through four student changes, five substitutes, six steady students, and gotten two close new friends.

One is a girl my age, Isabelle, who is like a 24 year old Korean version of my mother. I mean, it's weird. I always thought that I would never be friends with my mom, but this girl is so much like her it's uncanny.

The things we have in common are the things me and my mom have in common, and she likes bands that my mom either likes (my mom likes alternative rock) or I know she would have preferred.

When I left, I only went to school just for her. Then she texted me and told me that I wasn't just her teacher, I was her friend. That even though she didn't want me to leave, it was selfish of her to ask me to stay, especially since I had better benefits in my new job.

Then there's my twelve year old Ron.

That kid is a whiz. Grew three inches from the time he went here last December. He was abrely up to my ear when he came here, now he's close to my height and about to leave in two weeks.

He borrowed a teachers cellphone yesterday and texted me, asking me how I was and telling me that he missed me. I nearly cried.

That kid is so special. He is so smart, and he is so motivated. He is the smartest kid in his level in Korea. When we were bored and didn't feel like going by the book, we played word games, mostly code games.

He's so different from the other kids in that he is so introspective. He likes to observe. And he stuck to his own reasons for not using that damn e-dictionary and actually made it with a regular paperback dictionary (which he claimed was not only cheaper but better).

The two of us sort had this weekly ritual. I'd measure how much he grew in the week and we'd mark it up my classroom wall.

I felt so sad when a friend and co-teacher told me that he wasn't enjoying his new teacher, and that he kept coming to my class asking what time i'd be there.

I didn't think i'd ever get attached to these people, but somehow I did. Didn't think i'd be friends with them, but somehow we are now.

Ah, to be a teacher.

I told my friend Jonathan that most of the time I felt like a fake teacher, since I didn't have any teaching experience nor an education degree. He looked at me like I was crazy then pointed out "Well, they learn don't they? Then you're a teacher."

Just to be fair though, I don't think I was a very good teacher. I think I was better as their friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home