I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Saturday, January 03, 2004

The advert currently running on my blog is for blimps, since I wrote the "Goodyear Blimp" in one of my entries.

It always fascinates me how a bot will scan my entry and automatically pick up what it thinks should be placed up on the sign up there.

Anyway, one of the adverts is about RC Blimps, a mini remote controlled blimp that you can get for around 30 dollars. The tag is "For you or for someone special". I guess this is what you get when you don't have the cash to propose through the kickass blimp.

I wonder how that'll look like, buzzing over the heads of people in a mall, making this weird whirring sound, while the words "Will you marry me?" are pasted on the mini-blimp?

Oh well, you can always pretend that it's from far away.

...

I am currently looking at my The Best of Life Book. I've always been fascinated with it, though some of the pictures scared me when I was a child. I think I was around six when we first got that book, and I'd always skip the photographs taken during the numerous wars.

But the book is pretty helpful now, as well as this website of some photographer named Jesse Kalisher. He wrote a pice on how to take great pics using your digicam on The Screensavers website, so I decided to check out his site. It was great seeing that he specialized mostly in BW landscape shots. More people to learn from!

I'm down to one more weekend before I go back to work and really start cracking on the ISWM bluebook. I think i've already collected a lot of numbers and it;s high time that I start calling all of it. Add all the embassies that I have to call up...I should be tied on the phone for the next two weeks.

Which is why I am trying to catch up on my readings this weekend. Maybe for the next few months I will begin cracking down on my Linux and GNU readings in between snapping up shots and editing them and the website. Then I'm going to have to schedule a weekend where I can go take some pictures that isn't of the office, my stuff, or my house.

Am I starting to sound busy?

I'm also going to start scanning for places where I can submit my work--writing, art, pics.

I'm still getting over the fact that I don't want to be a scientist or a doctor or an engineer. I always thought that doing something artistic for a living was just too unstable and not to mention frivolous.

But when I look at these BW photographs, I realize just how much of faith and humanity it captures. Even nature. Or even just movies. If a movie can make you laugh and forget for an hour and a half, then the work is done.

There was this ep of BBC: Talking Movies that absolutely amused me. They were featuring Mona Lisa Smile and just went through it. Sure, it was tastefully ripped apart--they are british and this is Julia Roberts we are talking about--but the fact that they magnified the movie to such blockbuster proportions...it just amuses me.

So there was nothing new, who cares? When I saw the trailer I didn't want to see it in the hopes of watching a revolutionary film. I just wanted to know the story, be entertained.

Maybe it's a shallow way to look at movies, but at the bottom of it all is: it's just a story.

So there are others who want to make a stamp in the human condition, great. You have those wanting to make cinematic history, cool.

But does it always have to be like that?

I guess these days they do have to be, since not only do you have brainiac critics but movie studios who just want to make a lot of money. I'm pretty sure they weren't aiming to elevate people's senses when they produced Titanic, but that made a lot of waves (pardon the pun).

...

I suppose this is me just trying to catch that ever elusive break in my life. Where everything is just so dark and intense and fast. In so many ways, I've always been the critic and I was always in search of that something that would drum the next big change.

But if there is one thing i've learned, it's that things change in their own time and in there own way, and no matter how much you fool yourself, you will never be able to control it.

Oh well.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home