I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Monday, February 16, 2004

The Bold and...The Bold and...To Boldly go where no man has gone before...

Here is an expression of boredom: I am currently surfing for The Bold and The Beautiful fanfiction.

In case you people do not know what The Bold and The Beautiful is (no loss, I assure you), it is a soap.

I was introduced to the world of B and B when I was 13, along with Santa Barbara. Neither of them held my attention (Neighbours fan), but it was mildly interesting to someone who didn't have anything to do or watch during the summer of '93. Star TV eventually dropped Santa Barbara and retained The Bold and The Beautiful. All episodes were two years late.

I never really paid too much attention to soaps. When I was eight I saw an episode of Knots Landing where some girl fell off a cliff and was just mesmerized. Of course, the episode ended with her falling off a cliff, it had to be...it's a soap. I told my dad how anxious I was to see what happens next and he told me that i'd have to wait a year before she came back.

I'm an ADD kid, I can barely sit through anything. If people falling off cliffs were going to be the only attraction, then it was better for me to move on. Besides, Airwolfe was playing and that was infinitely more interesting than anything else (a killer chopper and Jan Micheal Vincent? No contest!)

I have vague memories of my parents watching Dallas. It wasn't until three episodes after the pilot that my dad noticed that it was a soap, but had to sit through a month more of it as my mother watched the Nolan Mills gowns. But after a few weeks even she had tired of the fact that this will take forever.

I thought it was cute but the whole idea of a soap never really stuck until I saw Sunset Beach in `97.

I watched it because I thought Randy Spelling's bumbling was charming. It was right after the evening news and before Jay Leno, so I thought it was worth seeing.

...Until I found out that Caitlin's mom had an affair with her boyfriend Cole and was carrying his child, which created a lot of complications because she was also carrying Cole's child which made her take off somewhere so she ended up having a car accident in the middle of heaven knows where and had to be taken care of by a bunch of nuns from a nearby convent...???

Uh-huh. Can you imagine drawing their family tree?

And I'd hate to be their family lawyer. The annual number of accidents should be enough to do you in, not to mention the number of decidents suddenly dropping in and the people who keep coming back from the dead! But then again, chances are the lawyer or his wife or his son or nephew or anyone from his family or household will be involved with one of them.

It's a good thing that Filipino soaps are somewhat like aussie soaps: you have two famillies, they hate each other, but the kids will eventually fall in love, which angers one or two family members (usually the aunts) because they had a fling when they were younger.

Occassionaly someone will go blind or be kidnapped, or just run away.

Linear and not always with the distraction of beautiful people.

The trend when I was younger was: you had an orphan girl. Either both or one of her parents were rich, but they got disowned because they weren't allowed to fall in love with each other, primarily because one was poor or they had previous arrangements.

Orphan girl lives with rich grandparents--or a grandparent, typically a grandma. She will hate orphan girl because daugter/son is favored child, and seeing her reminds her of the pain her parents has caused her. This will piss off the envious aunt who is still living with grandma. She will be a single mother and together they will hate orphan girl...until one of her parents come back to life and they all love her again and she is happy.

The location will vary: mountains, the city, the provice. But the story is generally the same.

Now it's: we have two famillies, some of the kids are in love (they don't even have to belong to said two famillies) and I can't go into details because I don't watch them.

...

In the meantime, I'm going to look for Amber and Rick B and B fanfic. Because for four months, my weekend afternoon channel surfing was seriously impeded by "Amber's secret" (which always had to be the topic when I passed by Star World) But now that we all know, I am just doing this because I fucking hate Kimberly, mainly because she always wears something in purple and in pink.

Sheesh. Not too bad for a kid who wasn't into soaps.

Btw, has there ever been a story that has the bitchy but somewhat good girl gets the good but nervous guy over the goody two shoes but she ends up liking her coz she's so nice?

I mean, it's convaluted enough, isn't it?







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home