I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Excorsising the Ghost: Send Your Inner Critic Packing...Quickly

This must be the best piece of advice that i've heard in months:

"It is the job of the first draft to be written. Not to be brilliant, not even to be good, but to be written."

It's from a screenwriter named David Anaxagoras...really, that's his name. (Yes, it's the name of the wizard from The Wizard's Apprentice)

It's really...wow. Thank God for that line, because I am going nuts writing my first draft. I've turned that story so many times in my head that I feel like my brain is going to come out of my nose in a fried pieces of mush.

The demand that i've been putting to myself to be so brilliantly perfect is driving me up the wall.

I have this thing with doing things spectacularly the first time--not good, not pretty good, but fucking nova.

It doesn't matter whether it be sports or cooking, I go into it thinking I will bloody revolutionize this thing on my first try even if it kills me.

And it's killing me right now.

I think, what I need, is just to get my story out of my head. I think of it every moment of the day. When I shower. When I eat. Before I sleep. First thing when I wake up. When I take a shit. It's like having a fucking boyfriend.

So all goes to taking those few words out to the page. My script writing is software is already loaded, now all I need is the fucking script that goes with it.

Time to hammer and polish some drafts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home