I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Holy shit! Was that (like) a decade ago?

It always amazes me when those little things happen...You know, those little things, the ones that remind you that you're older.

And i'm not talking about that pair of jeans from high school that no longer fit you, but more like "What the fuck? Jagged Little Pill is ten years old now?"

Luke Walton--could you put him in some more, Phil?--is my age, Reality Bites has already released a ten year anniversary box set, the 80's are coming back, and teenagers not knowing what The X-Files is.

I can just see it "Yeah, that show used to be a really great hit during my day. So yeah, the remake has some pretty big shoes to fill."

The only teen show that I can somehow stomach is...One Tree Hill, and that's because I think Lucas and Sawyer should hook up because they look so....blonde together. Sort of like a teenaged version of Brad and Gwyneth, the power blondes when I was a teenager.

Let's not mention the fact that every damn day now something happens where I just have to be "responsible".

Freelance deadline job. You have to make that. Check.

Writing deadline. Must absolutely make that. Exert newly forming kung-fu discipline. Check.

Make sure cat is not wrecking the house. Even though technically, the cat now owns the house and we just live in it. Check. Check.

And a hundred other things that I suddenly have to do otherwise the world falls apart...and it's sick because if I really don't do at least one, some part of the universe might actually sag from my irresponsibility.

Wonderful how we're all connected, isn't it?

Sometimes, I still find it weird when I look in the mirror and think "wow, that's me". Because in my mind, even though I look a little bit different, I don't feel that much different than I did when I was a kid.

Yet everyone expects you to be this someone else. This...whatsthosewords...ah. A "responsible adult". There you go.

Once in a while, i'll get a glimpse of the "repsonible adult". When she's off running errands, when she cleans the house and her room without being told, when she's lecturing a teenager, when she's counseling a friend...sometimes she comes out and I get to meet her.

But most of the time, she's shy and reluctant to show herself. Probably fearful that when she's out, people will just want her to be out all the damn time and leave behind "the kid".

And the years between "responsible adult" and the "the kid" is already growing. Next thing you know, she won't remember ever knowing the other.

Now had sad is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home