I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Wonderful World of Levelers

Josh Olson, the guy who wrote A History of Violence, is nominated for an Oscar for " Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published".

Now, A History of Violence is a wonderful movie, and I like it. For a character based writer, the way he lead us through the story was amazing.

But that's not why I like him.

I like him because he wrote Infested, one of the GREATEST B MOVIES OF. ALL. TIME. It's got guts, gore, the hilariously cheesy lines, a little of the required nudity, and a soundtrack that's designed to tranq you into sitting there and watching the whole thing. (Not to mention leave a hard case of Last Song Syndrome)

I picked it up because a) Robbie McNeill is in it, and b) I love B-movies, they're perfect if you just want watch something ridiculously entertaining without ever thinking too much, when your brain just wants to sit there passed out on a bean bag or lazing around with cola and a bag of popcorn.

I couldn't stop smiling when I accidentaly found a copy in my video store, looking like a total idiot when I paid for the most expensive VCD i've ever bought ($10.00!) I didn't care, I didn't even know it was going to be sold in the Philippines.

I originally watched it for the McNeill factor, but boy, that movie sure fuckass surpassed my expectations!

At the back of my head, I wondered why the hell Robbie did this. I mean, it's funny as hell, but it's a B-Movie. Maybe the director was talented?

Turned out that the writer and director was Josh Olson, who'd written some shorts and a TV movie, but nothing big so far.

So him being nominated for an Oscar is just mind-blowing. That is like the fuck-ass golden ticket. You can't get anymore diverse than having A History of Violence and Infested your resume. It gives us hope.

Josh man, YOU ROCK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home