I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Friday, August 26, 2005

The Art of Googling: The Rise and Fall of Blogs Everywhere

There used to be a time when the net was pretty safe.

Now, due to our own vanity and a mighty, mighty search engine, our somewhat average lives got their 15 seconds of net fame.

Don't tell me you haven't done it. I'm sure you've Googled your name. Some of you probably do on a regular basis. Googling full name first. Then first name and last. Then getting desperate you google just your last name, thinking maybe "look! that a. anderson might be me!"

(No, I never google my full name. I don't relate to my middle name so it never gets mentioned. Much like Chandler never mentions he's a Muriel.)

But all of us have been sluts at some point, and if we're not dropping our names in the blog (or other names such as KAREN Va--...nah. just kidding, Karen Va--)

OR

Using ever popular ad words in order to drive people to your site, like Joss Cola, D'Anothers, Pinoy Scripts, anything that remotely ties in to the Philippine Movie Industry, and just because I want a plug "hello to my teacher Roy Iglesias!"....

Though I'm not entirely sure he googles my name. Or even his name. Probably someone out there does. Who hopefully works for the industry, and may realize one of this Universe's possibilities: a nice note in my comment section inviting me for a job.

Of course, that never happens. Much like how the Screenwriting Guild of the Philippines never send out their union members their SGP card (which we paid for. reality is, the guy working the secretariat is pretty old. I saw the stash of ID's in his drawer, all waiting for pickup. I'm damn sure there ain't that many writers signing up, seeing as most of us are starving.)

Am I shooting myself in the foot here? Hmmm...let's try for the head.

The good and the bad of Googling is that there will always be that person who will search for the weird words, and will end up having your site or your blog strung with a host of others, who have no idea how they got lumped in that category.

Fortunately for me, the weirdest i've ever come across when I got googled is "Kriszia I am not an Ax Murderer". That wonderful webspace that had said words has forever dropped out of webcrawler botspace, and is thus no longer googable (is that a word already?) Now it's just Pickle Minded.

But that's a marked improvement, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home