I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Hey, are you...

Once in a while, I will get a person asking me if I am related to Jean Vengua Grier.

This started when I put up my first website when I was 18 and somebody noticed that we--me and "jean" share a common family name. The excitement increases when I tell them that I'm a writer, as if it's confirmation that I am related to said author and that all this literary affection was bled out in my genes.

Sad to say...I have no idea whether or not we're related.

So far, according to the web, I am "related" to an engineer, someone who own a construction company in England, said writer, a woman living in Florida, and another 23 year old who went to USC.

It doesn't help that my Mirror Project entries pop high up on the google list--next to Jean Vengua Grier's blogs--where the first thing you see is my friend Sally washing dishes.

Someone once told me that the Mormon's had copies of (everyone's?) census records, which often makes me curious as to why they did this or if it really is true.

Considering how the Manila records office can be frighteningly lax, it's a comfort to know that someone else probably has a copy of my birth certificate, as proof that I am, indeed, here.

I've always been curious of my ancestral roots. Someone already did the work on my mothers maiden name and I already have a lead on my paternal grandmother's geneology.

It makes me wonder why no one ever bothered to write down their family trees. I mean, is this a trend reserved to those of royal or noble birth? I'm sure even somone who doesn't have a drop of blue blood is pretty curious on who they are.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home