I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Friday, May 07, 2004

Merrit Butrick and 80's Psychosis

Just saw a trailer of "13 Going on 30" with Jenniffer Garner on BBCs Talking Movies.

Three letters: WTF?!?!?!

The clip was of a bunch of party goers dancing to Micheal Jackson's Thriller in the middle of the dance floor. And get this: they know the whole steps. People just stand up and--some fucking how--seamlessly joined mid step.

My first thought was: You expect me to believe that everyone in the fucking room knows the choreographed steps to Thriller?

Second thought was: Good grief, musical numbers in very non-musical movies. This is it's. The 80's. It's baaacccckkkk.

(Though everyone knows the dance steps to Men In Black and a few can dance Wild Wild West, but dude, Thriller is like over 5 minutes, you haveta be an 80's kid or a dancer to know it)

I was just at the mall the other day and saw the wealth of plastic square earrings and faintly remember seeing them on Kyle Minogue during her 80's run on Neighbours (not to mention on my older cousins)

I would have thought that we'd learned from looking at portaits taken 20 years ago. Although i'm pretty sure that the big poofy aquanet hair and the crisp bangs is really dead and will stay dead.

Fashion may be cyclical but people aren't that stupid.

...

On another note, I just saw the original Carrie with Sissy Spacek and was semi-captivated by William Katt, who played Tommy Ross.

I asked my mom what year the film was shown and she said it was late late 70's and early 60's. I usually play a little celebrity game in my head when that happens:

David Duchovny should be in Princeton with long hair and wore those awful killer collars. Robbie McNeill and Roxann Dawson just got out of high school and they wiped the floor with those bell bottoms. Disco was in. The car to have was supposed to be a Trans Am, which Brian Krauss drove in the movie Sleepwalkers. Insert some six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

But today, I fixated on William Ross who is kind of like a beautified version of The Templates.

The Templates have always been cute but--even to my less than objective eyes-- they're not...beautiful. Maybe it's because there's something bigger or smaller or flawed or non-symmetrical with one of their features but they weren't the type you'd chisel onto marble.

William Ross, when he was younger, was what I'd imagined the statue of David would look like should he chose to come to life.

I'd seen him in 7th Heaven and some other things growing up, but always sort of associated him Merritt Butrick, the actor who played Dr. David Marcus on Star Trek: Wrath of Khan and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

For the non-trek fan: Dr. David Marcus is a pivotal character because he is Captain Kirk's son, second captain of the famous starship Enterprise.

Merritt Butrick was one of those things that my mind latched on during an extrememly boring day at Ecogov.

I remembered his face--that very finely chiseled face--and thought "whatever happened to (how aptly named) David?"

So I searched and searched and found out that he died of AIDS in 1989. And since I know you're curious, no he wasn't gay, he had a drug problem.

It seemed rather ironic that it was on that same day that the Star Trek: Enterprise ep with Ensign Liz Cutler--played by Kellie Waymire--showed on RPN 9. My friend Luis texted me and told me that he thought she was cute. I texted back and told him that she died of cardiac arrythmia.

So the two of us sort of text-skulkled that our guest Trek crushes "died on us" on the same day. We're very weird that way.

On a lighter note, me and Luis semi-celebrated (and wondered how the fucking hell) his date passing out minutes after a marathon love fest. Although it's not unknown for some people to pass out during or even directly after they come, I haven't heard or read about anyone passing out during the cuddling stage.

And I quote: "She just sort of passed out while I was kissing her".

Must have been a really good kiss to knock her out for ten minutes...or just a very delayed reaction.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please do not spread misinformation on the internet. Merritt was not in Star Trek The Motion Picture but he was in Star Trek II & III. He also did not use drugs, it is rumoured he was a homosexual.

http://www.angelfire.com/celeb2/merrittbutrick/Biography.html

2:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home