I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Life is Fic-able

I wrote my first fanfic way back `96.

It's an unfinished epic of a story that follows the adventures of Admirals Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes when she was still assigned to the lunar space station so he got no nookie...but that wasn't the important part.

It was pre-wedding, pre-Sentinels, ambitious and smarmy as hell.

I took a total of three vacations that summer, all the while carrying two Mead notebooks and three Robotech books everywhere for reference. I wrote in the car, on the plane, in hotel rooms. (I even took them with me to Ocean Park, where I got caught in a freak Hong Kong drizzle)

Robotech--being sci-fi--contained quite a bit of physics, my fundamentals of which is equivalent to a paper cup--compact, light, and utterly disposable.

In short, I was an obsessed 15 year old who was in over head and had no idea what the hell she was doing.

After about a hundred pages of smarm and no sci-fi, I quit and moved on to other writing projects. But that was basically my foray into the wonderful world of fanfiction, way before I knew what fanfiction was.

...So what's the point?

As Blogger has carefully pointed out, there are certain entries in your blog that you want to delete as you move on to the now not-so far flung future. Written spats with family members, edit secrets that you might have revealed that you don't want your mama to find out...a confession of your love for Trek fanfiction.

?

If you listen closely, this is me blowing raspberries. At you.

My friend Karen--my own personal convert to the realm of fanfiction--has been done in again by yours truly to another interest.

Enterprise fanfiction.

Better yet, Star Trek: Enterprise. Let's not forget the not so recent addition of the franchise name.

Enterprise fanfics are our common ground. Karen came from the realm of Forver Knight fanfic, a Canadian TV show from way back when that had Rick Springfield for the pilot. It's a mix of Highlander , Anne Rice and NYPD Blue.

I, on the other hand, losely started with Robotech, (for a brief time) various manga, before moving on to X-files fanfic which I think is the mother of all fanfics. X-philes fanfic kicks ass. If you ever want to see a piece of fiction that's good enough to be a book, you should surf on over to their novel lengths. All you have to do is change the names and you have yourself a different story.

...Okay, i'm rambling.

I'm pretty sure that most people wouldn't get why Karen and I get such a kick out of Enterprise fanfics. Had we not stopped ourselves, i'm pretty sure that we could go on for hours talking about straight-laced but heroically flawed Captain Archer, new commander of the Enterprise (NX-O1) and T'POl, resident Vulcan, provider of logic, wit, and alll hotness.

I remember my mouth hanging open when I saw the scene in the decon chambers on the pilot. My viewing companion--a human male--had his mouth equally open staring at the same thing, albeit for different reasons.

I still think it's unfair for a girl to have such a tinny waist and have those MELONS. Even Jeri Ryan had to put on a corset. This babe is about 5'8 and has nearly nothing squeezing her but the suit.

Damn!

In any case, I just thought it might be cool to wax on poetic about the fanfiction obsession to whomever might stumble into my blog in the future.

You know, before Valentines day, right before you might have sent me flowers or chocolates or ask me out on a date.

If you want to beam out about now, you're welcome to do so. If you feel like sending me Mandorian Roses (which doesn't exist) or proposing a game of Kaltoh for a date (which doesn't exist either) or even 3D chess (which also doesn't exist, but that's moot because I don't play chess) say it out loud. There's nothing wrong with it.

And if you went on and on about how wonderful the Riker-Troi pairing was and he or whomever is turned off by it--move along. You're not interested in them, you're interested in Imzadi.

Besides, with the amount of stuff you can find in fanfics--and if you're an avid reader, you should know what kind of STUFF I'm talking about--i'm pretty sure no one would dare walk away if they knew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home