I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Saturday, June 05, 2004

The Happiest Place In The Mall

Rhem and I hung around the mall later today (or yesterday) as we both ran errands and caught up with each others lives.

He gave me a copy of Fedora Ver. 2 to replace my Knoppix and antiquated RedHat and looked around at our limited array of PDA's at the local mall.

I needed some rechargable batteries and rabbit ears, since I broke my TV's antenna and lost my cable when I moved rooms. I've been obsessing about watching the original Twilight Zone with Rod Serling and so I finally caved and just schlepped over to the hardware store to get my things.

Our mall just underwent a renovation, so the hardware store moved to a bigger space at the Annex. We hadn't seen the new one, so the two of us happily trudged over to explore.

I hardly go to the hardware store, mainly because I love it.

For some people it's The Body Shop, to others it's shoes, and to a great many it's the grocery store.

For me, the hardware store at the mall is like entering the video shop. I need it, love it, and I cannot go out without buying something.

I go in there, and suddenly there are a wealth of things that I need: batteries for every battery operated thing in my room, a new flashlight, those mats, aerosol paint for my next project, those cool bags that are virtually indestructible and maybe a new socket or bolt.

I love the hardware store. It's like being in a confectionary, you just can't get enough of what's in there. My parents are the exact same thing. I don't think i've ever seen them leave the mall without going there, much less buying anything. Once, my mother almost bought me a tent because it was on sale at the hardware store. My dad buys me little gifts from the hardware store.

Heck, my aunt's 18th birthday present to me was an exacto knife, extra blades, and a micro tool kit. I thought it was the coolest present. It was a great set, and I say WAS because my dad borrows it so often that he might as well OWN it.

Anyway, as soon as Rhem and I went inside, my our faces lit up (hardware store junkies that we are) and I immediately zeroed in on the flashlights. In my opinion, you can never really have enough flashlights. Someday soon, I will buy myself one of those pen sized maglights (in metallic orange) and stick to that. But right now, I am enthralled by those colorful plastic ones that just look like Maglights and cost 80% less.

There was some guy there doing a demo on a steam press iron, and for a moment we thought the TV was tuned in to the congress trying to open the damn ballot boxes.

The proceedings on how and when to open the damn ballot boxes has been elevated to entertainment in this country. Personally, i'm concerned, but watching them go through the whole thing in television is akin to watching paint dry. They suck (mostly because of that stupid Atenean, who the Jesuits are condemning by now, i'm sure) but they'll get the boxes open eventually. I just want to know who the next president it.

Though if they're having trouble prying open one of the boxes, I'm sure I can get them something to open it.

The hardware here at the mall always has something on sale, so the tools can go really cheap, and the cutters are always superb...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home