I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Thursday, January 29, 2004

BOOM!

And today started out with so much potential.

My mom woke me up ridiculously early just to tell me to take out my laundry, my dad beat me to the showers, I had two outfit changes because I found out that I had no more work clothes, and just after taking a super fast (and non-luxurious) shower, my dad left me, so I missed my free ride and had to commute to work.

A typical Thursday.

Pretty boring, until my former-boss had her assistant deliver the (late) much anticipated (coz she took so long to do it) contract renewals (which should have been done last November) that contains my new scope of work.

I took one look at my contract end and BOOM!

You are out of a job by the end of March 2004. Here is your two months notice. You may not pass Go, you give up your Cannot Go To Jail Card, and You do not get your 200.

Surprised?

I know I was, since my work orders have got me buried up to the gills until August. I called my new boss (who is a nicer but busier boss) from her business trip, who assured me that she would clear it up with the boss-of-all-bosses (previously referred to as big-big-boss) She called an hour later to inform me that no, itwas not a mistake. She sounded sad and a bit surprised. My contract expires at this date and she didn't know about it. So yes, it was a good idea to start looking for a job.

Uh, might I mention my lack of a few things? Like (censored for the benefit of the cousins who might be incriminated)

To be honest, this is a step forward.

Last night, as I came home from a spiritually filling encounter at Crossroads 77, I thought about where it was that I was heading.

Yesterdays sermon was--to sum it up--about timing.

Your time on earth, your time in doing things, and your time in making things happen-where nothing is an accident, and God does everything for a reason.

I got home at 11, and even though I tried settling myself down by reading a couple of fanfics, I couldn't help but think of the sermon and the conversation that Sally and I had at the Delta Bento Box.

What are you going to do?

By definition, I am a "struggling writer". I'm an unpublished writer and i'm struggling. But staying unpublished and forever struggling is a disgrace to struggling writers everywhere. I haven't even starved for this because my parents are still paying for my housing.

Not that I want go homeless, thank you very much, but unless you haven't really suffered the real struggling writers might just stone you just so you can get the requisite angst.

In short, this frightening prospect is actually a good idea. My friend Enid even texted me to tell me that she was proud of me for getting what I want! (Bless you, E, for always being supportive. You rock, girl)

So even though I am scared shitless for losing my job, I am looking forward to this momentous adventure of being--once again--unemployed.
And to celebrate, I now present:

10 Reasons Why I Am Happy To Kick This Jobâ„¢

1. I no longer have to see Christines mother.
--This also means I will no longer be reminded of Christine and my anger towards her. Thank God.

2. I don't have to buy new office clothes.
--I just found out this morning that I was out of clothes. Now I get to plan for a new wardrobe!

3. I no longer have to put up with the air-conditioning.
--The former boss--who is now, and forever shall be, my former boss--always kept it at 19C. Her cold blood cannot be allowed to thaw.

4. I get to kick the office pariah stats.
--The office olds are at it again, so this is the last time I have to put up with any more generational gap bullshit. Well, at least here.

5. I finally get to start on my writing career.
--Seriously, this was the push that I needed. If I weren't placed on my wits end, I'd still be sitting cushy on my solid paycheck.

6. I no longer have to hear any more whiny, sweetie, time-deficient officemates who have serious hang-ups with boyriends that they shouldn't be having in the first place.
--That sentence alone is cause for a fresh breath. But do I care? Maybe on the fact that I will no longer see her! Yezzzzzzzzz.

7. No more New Order.
--Even though I never really spent much time in the office of the big boss--soon to be former big boss--to be infected, just knowing that it's being played 45 fet away is enough to make me want to scrub raw. And did I mention that she says the word snarky?

8. I no longer have to sit in uncomfortable office chairs.
--Okay, so it's not just the chair, but it's the desk and chair combo. This place was not ergonomically designed nor thought out. Besides, I also found out that what caused my left foot to go numb was it's proximity to the power grid box. Can I sue? And If I can, can I start with Christines mother?

9. I finally get to put my past behind me.
--The topic of this year is moving forward, which won't happen unless I let go of Christine, Christine's mother, or anything that reminds me of her. She is a symbol of a past and more dependent life. The person they insist on projecting is no longer me.

10. I can finally, finally, do my geeky stuff
--This April, I will probably sit down and hotwire my brain to some geeky stuff: advanced HTML, PHP, Linux, some Perl, and finally build a kickass web-site.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home