I ran out of space in my head...the net seemed vast enough so I decided to lump it all here.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Teacher, Teacher

I am now a teacher.

...Yeah, big laugh track here. I didn't see that coming either.

Since i've run my account to it's maximum low and am now officially out of cash, I decided to get a pick-up job that will provide me with some cash to last me a few months while I work my ass off making money for my movie.

I was thinking of being a barista for Starbucks or even just plain old waitressing, but at the last moment a friend of mine roped me into teaching english to Koreans...

And though I never really thought about of becoming a teacher, the job is rewarding and frustrating at the same time. Most times I feel like a fake teacher, since I don't have any education or english units, but it feels great to be able to sit down and just struggle with these people.

Since my school provides mostly for one on one education, I only work with five people for the whole eight hours, though I should be getting the full eight people when December rolls in.

The pay is dirt cheap, but since I'm flat broke I took advantage of it while working and waiting for my other checks to clear.

So far, all four of my students are adults, save for one, Kim, whose twelve. Sweet little kid, except he's still a bit nervous around me and doesn't really feel like trying all that much. There are times when I feel like reaching over and just throttling him, but I think that has to do with the fact that he usually slacks off when I feel really bumfuck tired. He's kind of like a baby that way, reacting to the energies of the adults around him.

He likes animals and wants to be a veterinarian, so I'm finding out ways on how to teach him. The remaining three's ages range from 22 to 30, but i'm lucky that they're all pretty much in the intermediate to semi-advanced levels. They're pretty good, so we're not like two idiots who are trying to guess each other's words.

I like my students. :)

They think i'm cool for whipping their asses into working. One of them actually studied until 2am. But they like me, which is nice.

It's a nice fun...hobby, I guess. I always wondered what it would be like to be a teacher, but here I am!

My grandparents were teachers (and my dad moonlights as a terror professor at a local business school so he doesn't count) so I always wondered why they worked this kind of life for such little pay...

I guess it's because of the instant gratification that you get when you're students discover a new word or watch them get better and better...

Or it could be that when I'm teaching them, I feel totally in control and mondo adored!


1 Comments:

Blogger ugat said...

hey man....respect!
-kay

9:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home